One of my favorite childhood memories is riding in the car with my mom on Saturdays, while listening to Kicks 101.5, Atlanta’s Country Music station. It was during these rides around my hometown of Marietta, where my mom and I would discuss the importance of self-esteem, earning good grades, and cultivating healthy friendships. Sometimes, my younger brother would join us and and our conversations would become more abstract, like discussing my brother’s interest in Gargolyes and Dragon Ball Z. Country music served as the background soundtrack to a time in my life when I didn’t have to worry about anything. Career goals were a thing of a distance future. Making friends was easy and my idea of establishing a long-term relationship was reduced to planning the most outlandish fairy-tale wedding possible. Life was good.
Nowadays, when life becomes challenging and decisions become overwhelming, I revert back to the days when life was simple. Music has an amazing ability to help us remember our yesteryears. Country Music serves as my personal time capsule, helping me travel back in time to when life was simple. I listen to Country Music daily. In fact, I not only listen to it, I sing along with it. Loudly. While driving around my city.
So, today, I’d like to welcome Friday by sharing my all-time favorite Country Music songs with you. I hope these tunes help you relieve the tension you may have stored up after a stressful week. And I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- Trisha Yearwood – She’s In Love With The Boy (1991)
- Toby Keith – I Want To Talk About Me (2001)
- Kevin Sharp – Nobody Knows (1996)
- John Michael Montgomery – I Swear (1994)
- Garth Brooks – Friends In Low Places (1990)
- Travis Tritt – Here’s A Quarter Call Someone Who Cares (1991)
- Florida Georgia Line – Sun Daze (2014)
- Alabama – I’m In A Hurry (1992)
- Darius Rucker – This (2010)
- Hunter Hayes – Wanted (2011)
- Tim McGraw – I Like It, I Love It (1995)