Where The Heck Have You Been?!

Hi, S&T! Remember me??

It’s been 6 months since my last post. Apologies for going radio silence on you. I have so many new ideas for posts, but I just couldn’t come back after ghosting you and say, TA-DA New Post! without at least explaining where the heck I’ve been in the past 196 days. So, here goes a list of things I’ve been doing instead of updating my blog. And some other random epiphanies I’ve had along the way.

I’ve moved into a new place.

I knew that buying a home would require some sacrifices. But, I did not know it was going to take over my entire life!

After signing the contract, my thoughts, my energies, and my money have been consumed by my home! And decorating has been a bit daunting. Is this normal? Having a place of your own is a blessing though!

I earned a professional certification.

As if moving wasn’t stressful enough, I started studying for a certification exam during the week I moved. The certification required more than 35 hours of class and more than 40 hours of study, and a 4-hour exam. I managed all of this on top of a full-time job.

I hosted a birthday party for my hubby.

My hubby turned 40 in October and I couldn’t let his special day pass without commemorating it with a birthday party.  So that’s precisely what I did. My budding event planning talent was on full display and I must say it was a huge hit!

I engaged in some eye-opening conversations about mommyhood.

This item deserves a whole post of its own, but I’ll just gloss over it for now. I never realized how judgy moms were of stay-at-home-momssoon-to-be moms, and other women who are trying to decide whether to take a launch into motherhood.

I’ve had so many conversations about his topic and what I’ve discovered has been eye-opening. Stay-at-home moms turn their noses up at working moms for choosing to allow someone else to raise their kids. Working moms think stay-at-home moms are lazy and disillusioned. Some moms look at the not-yet moms like, “What are you waiting for??”

In all the conversations I’ve had with co-workers, relatives, and friends, I’ve discovered that everyone is doing her best to be a good mom. Nobody wakes up in the morning and thinks, How can I screw up my kid’s life today?

I’ve been mistaken for being pregnant.

Some people mistook my weight gain for pregnancy. Perhaps their desire for me to be with baby were so strong that they somehow conjured up a pregnant belly, but whatever the case is, it has taken me months to recover from their mishap.

A word of unsolicited advice: Never ask a woman if she is pregnant. She may just be bloated or simply gaining weight. Either way, air on the side of caution and do not say anything. It’s better to be quiet than end up with your foot in your mouth.

By the way, shout out to the people who cannot resist the urge to comment on others’ weight. Why has that ever been a thing? I eat a bowl of ice cream and feel myself gaining weight. Believe me. I know I gained weight. And I don’t need you to point it out.

I am back on my workout grind.

Between the move, studying for an exam, working a full-time job and party planning, I’ve had little time to work out. Admittedly, self-care was the first thing to go when life got hectic.

Now, I’m back to working out 3 to 4 times per week at OrangeTheory Fitness. I have social media friends who have experienced some amazing results from the OTF program, so I became a member in mid-December. I’ve been consistently attending morning classes. And get this – I’m actually enjoying my workouts!

I’ve been taking progress photos and can’t wait to share the progress I’ve made.

Other random stuff I’ve noticed during my time away:

• My mind is overflowing with new ideas and I just don’t know which one to pursue. I feel slightly overwhelmed.
  • Becoming by Michelle Obama is phenomenally written. The book made me admire Mrs. O even more.
  • Changing your name after marriage is a pain in the butt.
  • Instead of trying to convince others to give you an opportunity, you have to put on your big girl panties and make your own opportunity.
  • Making friends in my 30’s is one of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to do.

The next post…

I have plenty more to say, so expect to hear from me soon. I just wanted to pop in and let you know I’m still breathing. I miss you guys! Let me know what you’ve been up to. What’s your workout routine? What are you eating to supplement your workout?

And also, Happy Valentine’s Day! Is it just me or are you not in the Valentine’s Day spirit this year? I seriously have zero plans to celebrate.

17 thoughts on “Where The Heck Have You Been?!

1. marymooney says:

Great post. Sometimes life just happens too big for us to include everything at once. As for the waiting stories. Make a list of ideas. Then when you think you know which you want to write about a new one will pop up out of no where and irritate you until you get it down. Having kids? Totally personal decision. Tell everyone to shut up about it. Gaining weight? Geeze, I wish I had a quarter for every person who had MY answers on that topic. I’d own an island! You’ll sort it all out. Congrats on the house and LIFE!

2. Kaje Marie says:

Missed your posts! Glad to have you back. Congratulations on all your accomplishments!

I can’t stand the “when are you guys going to have kids?” question… when I get pregnant, that’s when! 🙄😴

“Changing your name after marriage is a pain in the butt.” << GIRL! I still have a couple credit/debit cards in my maiden name because that specific bank doesn’t have branches in the state I live and won’t let you make a name change online. It must be done in person. I think I would have kept my last name if I knew how much of a struggle it would be.

Looking forward to future posts!

Liked by 1 person

• Scribbles and Tostitos says:

Thank you! It’s great to be back.

Haha, good response. I’ll have to try that.

Wow! I’m experiencing the same issue with one of my banks. Smh. Changing your name post-marriage is something that newlyweds never tell you about. Women just do it almost instinctively and never tell you all the hassle they went through.

3. LaLa says:

Oh dear! It is so great to hear from you. Congrats on all the big accomplishments that you have been able to make over the past months! I didnt like the weight I saw on the scale thia morning and I knew it because between life and kids, I eat lots and have no time to exercise. Would love to hear more about your workouts and your progress as I am sure that will motivate me a little bit more 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. Tom Being Tom says:

Believe it or not, Yaa Yaa, I was thinking about ya the other day and said “where is Yaa Yaa?!” I recently wrote about my own absence after house-buying (https://tombeingtom.com/2019/01/26/priorities/) and thought about the others, like yourself, that seemed to have disappeared (though not deactivated).

Oddly enough, I mentioned Michelle’s book in my most recent post, too. Are we on the same path?! 😁

Oh, and welcome back!

Liked by 1 person

• Scribbles and Tostitos says:

Tom! I was thinking about you yesterday too. I thought, “I wonder what Tom’s been up to?” I’ll just have to pop over to your page and see what’s new with you. I’m glad I’m not the only one who disappeared when buying a home. It really is a energy suck!

Liked by 1 person

5. jono51 says:

I can tell your brain has been filling up these last 6 months. We’re here waiting to hear about all your challenges and ideas. I get to sedentary in winter and have just started moving again. The extreme cold and copious amounts of snow were more than obnoxious. The days are getting longer and soon we will see above freezing temperatures on a regular basis. I gets easier to get out and move.

Liked by 1 person

6. thenakedwriter says:

Well — hello there!!! Welcome Back!!!! Thanks for jumping right in with all the life updates! — And the “To be or not be — a Mommy” —- I’m in the space right now myself! Thanks for your candidness in sharing your life with us!

Liked by 1 person

• Scribbles and Tostitos says:

Hi Mac! My pleasure. I’m happy to be vulnerable (as you’ve taught us all so well) about being a Mommy because I feel like no one really talks about it openly. I was starting to think I was the only one with doubts. Now, I know that’s not true!

7. Positively Alyssa says:

First of all, I am so glad to see you back! Life definitely gets super busy and it is hard to find extra time for doing something we enjoy! Also, congratulations on both your new home and your certification! Great job!!!! People are always going to judge, no matter what we do and it is horrible. I am trying to learn how to ignore their ignorance, but it isn’t easy! Most people should have common sense and NEVER ask a woman if she is pregnant. People are often just rude and I almost feel sorry for them. I am looking forward to your next fabulous post!!!